Free Islamic Awareness Workshop
Supported by Derry City and Strabane District Council and People 1st.
When: Thursday 29th February 2024
Where: North West Islamic Association, Pennyburn Industrial Estate
Time: 10 am to 12 noon
This is aimed at anyone that may come into contact with people of the Islamic faith – this could be businesses, volunteer groups, NGO’s, charities or even civil servants. Learn how to understand and engage effectively with your Muslim clients and stakeholders.
This workshop is designed to enable you and your colleagues to provide an informed service to your Muslim customers and staff, meet the needs of the Muslim community and find out about Islam. Delegates will be able to understand better what Muslims believe and discuss common stereotypes and myths.
You will learn:
• What is Islam? Who are Muslims?
• The history of Islam – general background
• Who is the Prophet Muhammad and what are the Five Pillars of Islam?
• The Holy Qur’an and Islam as a way of life including: Daily life and prayer as a Muslim, ablution and purity, modesty and dress code, Islamic dietary laws, religious festivals, family life and death and mourning
• Muslim Women’s Rights
• Diversity – common stereotypes and cultural myths